Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Doc Holliday
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 107 times
Been liked: 469 times

Re: Jmp-1 boys

Postby Doc Holliday » 04 Jun 2012, 05:16

So after having my JMP1 for a week now I have it set up just right for what I need.

TBH when I first plugged the amp in I was a little surprised at how much extra gain was on tap even in the standard setting with no boost engaged.
Although I do play high gain from time to time I just couldnt pull off those 70s classics that I had bought the amp for. Well not without turning the volume nob on the Les paul down to say 3.

After rolling some tubes I replaced the output tubes with ECC81 mullards which IMO gave it a little more of that authentic marshall tone. I eventually put a EHX 83 valve in the V2 position. It didnt seem to have as much gain as the SED 83 and also was not as bright as the EI tubes I put in. It also adds a slight nasal tone to the amp which I quite liked. In position on I have put a ecc82 valve in V1 from the JTM1. Sounds awesome! I see some have maxed the bass and treble but that was way to much brightness for my liking. Like with the DSL50 i keep the treble at a minimum on this bad boy.

The boost mode took a little more time to adjust too. I'm a big fan of the Pearljam ten album and understand that they used the split channel 800s for those tones. I'm pretty sure i've managed to dial in a pretty good Alive tone especially when using my Suhr shiba drive.

May I add I have been setting the JMP to max and still boosting it with OD pedals with drive set low to smothen out the tones and get that extra sustain. For the JMP in normal mode I max the gain and add my Providence S0V-2 and it really does sound killer with both strats and les paul. For boost I set it at 2 0'clock and use the Shiba with drive down fairly lowish and set volume to 12.

Overall I'm really impressed. It really does capture that plexi aggression. Plus I can max this at home. Sure its loud but thats where the amp shines. I still have trouble getting the JTM1 up to anything past 12 o clock as it gets pretty loud. Way louder than the plexi- or at least it seems to be. Plus it gets quite boomy but that could be the RFT I have in the power section which is renowned for adding a rich tight bass. I may swap it out for a RCA and put the RFT aside for the JCM1.

I still have no number one out of these two. I have the YJM and have owned 2 1987's in past so Obviously I love the plexi tone. But I fell in love with the JTM when it arrived. Its such a great amp especially through my 4x12 cab with greenbacks. Peter Green never sounded so good.

So if you have any old tubes lying around give them a whirl..you may surprise yourself. Dont get me wrong it sounds good stock but Like me you may want to calm the gain a little. Steve says you can swap out the ECC81'S for 82'S to calm the gain but I feel the 81's have a different character to the 82's and 83's and this maybe what gives the plexi its brighter aggressive tone.
Plus if you have any tubescreamer types give them a go too! You may have to alter the gain on the amps but it really can give you the added eq and smooth out the tones making them more creamy. Tubescreamers are pretty low gain anyway so it may be a good place to start. I would not recommend distortion pedals. Plus the boost is awesome for the extra gain. I'm looking forward to see the differences between the JCM1 boost section and this one as I have played an AFD and this boost definatley gives a similar tone. Im not sure if that was the aim but it sounds great!

Anywho.... Rock n roll people, these amps are great.
Gibson 58 Historic les Paul
Tokai love rock gold top Les Paul
Fender reverse headstock strat
Tokai TV yellow Les Paul special
Tokai TV yellow DC les Paul
Gibson SG Jr

Gibson 1955 GA-5 jr
Gibson 1955 GA-7 special
Gibson1960 skylark
Gibson 1961 skylark w/trem
Silvertone 1963 1481
Gibson 1957 GA-6
Gibson 1957 GA-20T
Gibson 1960 GA-14
Fender 63’ reverb reissue
Lazy J 10LC

www.youtube.com/user/memygtar

Instagram page: the_doc_holliday

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Jmp-1 boys

Postby Wildone » 04 Jun 2012, 13:03

After two weeks now I have no regrets. I love this amp. I did run it into my 2466 and thought it sounded excellent. Really excellent. I might start to use it gigging but will need to put the amp on a footswitch to turn it on/off.

While they sound great around the house , running it into the vm is so sweet.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Marshall 50th Anniversary”