Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Jizzmasterzero
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Les Paul Traditional Gold Top

Postby Jizzmasterzero » 22 Mar 2012, 06:08

I'm going to have a look at (and hopefully buy) an LP Trad Goldie on saturday.
Unfortunatly I have never played one, let alone pick one up.

Is there anything I should look out for quality wise, are gibsons QC department pretty good nowadays?

Is there much of a tone difference between a standard and traditional?

Sorry for all the questions but for a guitar at this price i don't wanna go home with a potential duffer.

Ta

Andy
Guitars: 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Stagg Strat Copy
Tokai ALS48 with Alnico 2 Pro Humbuckers (Bridge and Neck)
1980's Hohner with SD Vintage 59' Humbuckers (Bridge and Neck)
Ibanez RG470

Amps: JVM410HJS with Matching Cab (Blue)
2266 and 1960a loaded with G-12C's
JCM800 2210 with 1960AV
Line 6 Spider Jam

FX: Boss TU-2, Dunlop 535Q, EH Neo Clone and Flashback Delay.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Les Paul Traditional Gold Top

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Mar 2012, 08:49

The quality should not be a issue, but like any guitar look for flaws and pay attention to the neck and frets. A good guitar tech can fix anything you find.

Most important IMO is to get some where quite and listen to the guitat umplugged, take a couple of other LPs with you to compare when you do this. Take your time and do not be rushed, this is a lot of money. I find some noticable differences between LPs, get the one that plays, feels, sounds best to you.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul
Has Liked: 87 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby aristotle » 22 Mar 2012, 10:12

Yeah...there isn't much with Les Pauls that's the sort of thing lurking under the hood. Any issues will likely be evident on inspection and playing.

The LP traditional gold tops are a good value in comparison with historic reissues...and from what I've seen, there isn't any obvious difference in quality. Particularly with gold tops, where the top is all covered up anyway. Some people aren't jazzed about the 57 Classic pickups that come on these. Pickup swaps, even if you go hog wild on them, still leave you with a load of cash left over compared wth an R7.

Even though these things are plek'd, my experience is that frets, nuts and bridge saddles are all over the map. Nothing that can't be easily sorted out, but who wants to bother with a new guitar? I don't notice any diference though between the traditionals and the reissues in this regard though.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 22 Mar 2012, 18:24

Totally go for it.

I want a gold top trad really badly.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 22 Mar 2012, 23:42

Yeah bring someone with you who knows what they are doing, way too many counterfeits on the market and if your not knowledgeable about the guitar you could be spending allot of cash for a card board guitar from china.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 20 times

Postby jab » 23 Mar 2012, 08:53

probably took me a year to pick my LP. My advice is to try as many as possible, because they really do all feel and sound different. I don't know why, but they do. Perhaps the custom shop is more variable though. But if you're ready to go gold, and you find one and it sounds and feels great, go for it. You can always sell it if you get buyer's remorse. For what it's worth, I ended up with a Wildwood Spec Historic 1958. A real (expensive) tone machine. Didn't get a good deal on it, doesn't have a ton of flame, nothing special other than it feels like I'm playing a Steinway. It's a different animal. All of a sudden my strats and teles feel like toys.

I see in your signature you have a VM and JCM800, and no LP. When you put Marshall and an LP together this lightbulb goes off like, "ah, there's that sound I've loved all my life".
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

Jizzmasterzero
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Jizzmasterzero » 24 Mar 2012, 13:36

Well I went to GuitarGuitar today to try out a few LP Classics and Traditionals, I went with an idea of how much I could afford and what type of LP I wanted.

I tried 6 different guitars altogether but none of them felt right to me so I didn't get one............... I got this instead :Thumbs
Resized Front.jpg
Resized Front.jpg (216.66 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Resized Side.jpg
Resized Side.jpg (216.24 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
I now see what you mean when you say that no two LP's are the same.

The original price was £2100 I think, but the manager of the shop said they had just dropped to £1899 which was sweet but the problem was I didn't have enough money for it, luckily he let me put a deposit down untill I had the rest of the money.

It's already boxed up in the back of the store with my name on it, all i have to do is wait two weeks to get the rest of the cash and she's mine.

Good Choice? not that you could change my mind, I love it!!!!!

On a side note, Mikey at Birmingham's GuitarGuitar is one of the nicest people I have met, super helpful, listened to me and got me exactly what I wanted.
He stayed with me for 4 hours bringing me different LP's to try and not once looked bored.

Thanks for all the great advice to everyone who answered the first post, I will never buy a guitar online again, if I had bought the Traditional online I would have been really dissapointed.

Regards

Andy
Stagg Strat Copy
Ibanez RG470

JCM800 2210 with 1960AV
Line 6 Spider Jam

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 24 Mar 2012, 15:02

Congrats man, she is beautiful. I played your cards exactly right when buying that guitar, I wish more people would take the time and do that when searching out a Les Paul. You can see that each LP might feel different and sound a but different, you know when you found the one when you sit there and say "WOW".

Guitar like that will last you a lifetime, they are a fair investment.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 20 times

Postby jab » 26 Mar 2012, 07:30

congrats, she's a beauty, great color. I love that feeling of "when you know it, you know it" with guitars. Bringing home your first LP is right behind bringing home your first baby, and just ahead of bringing home your first puppy. My Golden Retriever's name is Gibson by the way. If I have another, he'll definitely be Marshall (child or dog that is).
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 27 Mar 2012, 01:07

Nice looking LP .... very good choice.
It's always better to get the one you want instead of buying something less expensive and be halfway satisfied.
Then you will end up selling it anyway .. this one is probably a keeper :cowbell
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

exotl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 26 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby exotl » 27 Mar 2012, 08:35

Boy is that a beautiful guitar - almost hurting to the eyes after looking at all the faded studio lps I've been contemplating recently! :eek

... what about the pick guard - does she come without or did you have 'em undo it?

Jizzmasterzero
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Jizzmasterzero » 27 Mar 2012, 15:45

The pickguard hasn't been installed yet.

I won't want it installed either as I prefer the no pick guard look, Especially with a top like that.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I could be picking her up sooner than I expected as the wife has kindly donated some of her old jewlery from a previous marriage. Should fetch a good price.

I will post better pictures when I finally bring it home (hopefully Saturday).

Will possibly do a review on the line 6 spider jam, which I hope I bring home at the same time.
Stagg Strat Copy
Ibanez RG470

JCM800 2210 with 1960AV
Line 6 Spider Jam

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 27 Mar 2012, 18:33

Congradulations, a new Les Paul is as good as a new puppy. I really wish I could find my first Les Paul I owned, sold it off long ago in the 80s for a pointy guitar because that was what was cool back then. :cuss
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 27 Mar 2012, 21:08

wildone wrote:Congradulations, a new Les Paul is as good as a new puppy. I really wish I could find my first Les Paul I owned, sold it off long ago in the 80s for a pointy guitar because that was what was cool back then. :cuss
LOL, my first one disappeared and I have no clue what happened to it. I hate it when that happens. I also had a original Ibanez LP Lawsuit Black Beauty; she got sold (I think cant remember that one either damn its been decades) when I got my 71 SG/LP Custom and a USA Strat. Then I picked up my first LP Custom which was donated to the guitar gods because of Katrina. This is so sad..........

To the OP; very pretty lady and you are so correct even though they are same models some will talk to ya more than others. Love that lil PLEK sticker on her; mine had one also although couldn't really tell the difference.

Congrats on the new Lester; hopefully more pics to follow soon......

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 28 Mar 2012, 01:37

Congratulations!
Really nice looking guitar!

I need to add the comment regarding a pick guard.
Some people prefer to have it, other not to, it's fair deal but Gibson should design a different
pick guard bracket with no screws involved for assembling.
There are ALWAYS other ways to design things. Look at a car interiors today!
I would love to use my Les Paul without pick guard sometimes but just can't stand screw holes when pick guard removed.
Sorry, I am probably sick but for sure not the only one.
Sick people are allowed to play too. :dunno
:dunno

Return to “Guitars”