Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 20 times

Detox eq

Postby jab » 26 Mar 2010, 10:43

been reading about a few of you using the Detox EQ pedal. Curious what you use it for on VM and it what it does for you. Is it a substitute for manually using your guitar volume knob to clean up from 10 to 5 and compensating for the loss of treble at the same time?
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Re: Detox eq

Postby Doug_MVM » 26 Mar 2010, 15:08

jab wrote:been reading about a few of you using the Detox EQ pedal. Curious what you use it for on VM and it what it does for you. Is it a substitute for manually using your guitar volume knob to clean up from 10 to 5 and compensating for the loss of treble at the same time?
Exactly. And it works quite well. Check out Paul Gilbert's Youtube video to get the full deal. I highly recommend the pedal. It does not act like a boost however, it is just used to clean up the VM in a cool way.

Doug

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 Mar 2010, 17:05

The pedal can be used as both a boost or a cut by adjusting the volume to either side of 12 o'clock. The beauty is that bost or cut can have a eq signal to it. You can also set the volume equal to your amp with no boost or cut and just use it as a eq. It is very quite and true bypass.

It was made to hit the sweet spot when using high gain tones. Instead of rolling your guitars volume back and missing the sweet spot with this pedal you will be sure to hit it always. Other useful ways to use it. A very underrated pedal IMO. I have never found anyone who got one that didn't love it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby jab » 29 Mar 2010, 08:24

so what is the difference b/w the the Detox EQ and using a Boss GE-7 eq for example? I've heard people using the Boss eq as a volume cut but also complain about the tone suck so I didn't like the sound of that. Why is the Detox any different since both have the capability of cutting level & eq'ing back in lost high freq's for example?

And also, SteveD said if you're using the Boss GE-7 as a cut, put it in the loop. Where do you put the
Detox, in front or in the loop?

Thanks guys.
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Mar 2010, 14:29

The detox eq will not have the noise nor the ability to effect all frequncies. Bottom line is the detox is much easier to dial in as well as having many different ways it can be used.

I would recommend the detox as the last pedal in your chain going into the front of the amp.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby jab » 30 Mar 2010, 12:35

thanks surf, sounds like an interesting option as compared to using my volume knob all of the time. I have this weird issue that when I back down on my guitar volume knob, my envelope filter doesn't work the same and it sounds completely muffled. I don't use it much but in a cover band there's a few times I have to use the filter and it's a pain because it means I have to reset my amp to a lower volume so I can play with my guitar volume opened up on 10. It's a head scratcher for me so I wonder if the Detox would allow my pickups to act as if they're on 10 albeit at a lower volume.

For that matter, would a pedal like an Xotic AC boost perform a similar function: a) leave your guitar volume on 10 for leads, and b) step on the AC pedal with level set below par for a quieter rhythm part and use it's eq & gain knobs to get a decent tone. Then back down the volume knob for a clean? Isn't that really what a Detox does anyway or does it behave differently?

Return to “Guitar Effects”